This article is 14 years old. Images might not display.
Bowen Basin coal mines need permission to pump more of the brackish water that has accumulated in the pits into swollen river systems in a bid to improve production this year, Queensland Resources Council chief executive Michael Roche said.
QRC estimates a 30 million tonne downturn in coal production in 2010-11 caused by wet season floods.
“Three out of four coal mines are still working to remove water from their properties under special environmental discharge approvals from the state government,” Roche said.
“These special discharge approvals are of limited benefit without the right rainfall pattern, and there is now growing concern over the outlook for continuing rain in the coal regions.
“What can be pumped off a site can be replaced just as quickly by such rainfall and your flooded coal pit is then right back to square one of the business recovery phase.”
Under existing arrangements, coal mining companies apply for transitional environmental programs which permit a minesite to complete actions outside of its agreed environmental authority conditions.
DERM has approved 59 applications for mines since December 1, 2010. These comprise 42 new applications and 17 amendments to existing TEPs.
Roche said central Queensland coal companies were still struggling and that in February 2011, the state exported 8Mt of coal compared with 12Mt in February last year.
“The emptying of coal pits full of rainwater and the restoration of rail and road transport are central to ensuring losses are minimised,” he said.

