PWCS undeterred on own expansion

PORT Waratah Coal Services (PWCS) says it will go ahead with its expansion plans at the Port of Newcastle despite losing a tender to build a third coal loader on Friday last week.
PWCS undeterred on own expansion PWCS undeterred on own expansion PWCS undeterred on own expansion PWCS undeterred on own expansion PWCS undeterred on own expansion

Port Waratah

Angie Tomlinson

The Newcastle Coal Infrastructure Group (NCIG) was named by the New South Wales State Government as the preferred developer and operator of a third coal loader for the Port of Newcastle. Both NCIG and PWCS, 49%-owned by majors Rio Tinto and Xstrata, were short-listed for the project.

Chairman Dr Eileen Doyle said PWCS was “already moving full steam ahead with its own expansion to 102 million tonnes per annum” at its existing Carrington and

Kooragang facilities.

Additionally, PWCS will now set the platform for further expansion options at its present landholding for coal industry use at Kooragang. The first step is to seek approval for an increase in development consent at Kooragang from 77Mtpa to at least 100Mtpa.

The expansion would take PWCS total loading capacity to 125Mtpa.

Doyle said PWCS was “disappointed” with the government’s decision on Friday to award the tender to NCIG and contended that under NCIG the development would take five years to complete.

NCIG, on the other hand, said the $A500 million expansion would take only three years, with the first ship expected to be loaded at the new berth in 2009.

Most read Archive

topics

loader

Most read Archive