Serious longwall incidents in Qld during Dec

A 100kg lump of coal that fell close to where a worker was changing picks on a longwall shearer and a chock at a longwall tailgate that lowered without any operator input sparked two serious incidents in Queensland mines in December, according to a Mines Inspectorate review.
Serious longwall incidents in Qld during Dec Serious longwall incidents in Qld during Dec Serious longwall incidents in Qld during Dec Serious longwall incidents in Qld during Dec Serious longwall incidents in Qld during Dec

 

Lou Caruana

In other incident a worker was struck with high pressure oil from a leak in a longwall chock. He was taken to hospital suffering a suspected fluid injection injury.

Ventilation incidents also occurred during the month. During a planned ventilation change for a longwall, a ventilation control device was inadvertently opened wider than intended causing in excess of 2% methane to pass through the bleeder fan.

On the electrical front, during an external inspection of a Driftrunner, an electrician noted that one light was not operating due to severing of the cable inside the fire resistant and anti-static hose.

Also in the electrics, a high impedance fault within a cable plug for a 3.3kV tailgate drive cable on a longwall developed into a short circuit fault. This caused the cable and molten metal to be ejected from the plug and a small fire. Workers put the flames out with a hand held extinguisher.

In another incident an operator fell and possibly fractured his left forearm while cleaning the front lights of a Cat R2900 loader.

Coal mine workers were withdrawn from a development panel when it was realised that the rockbolts that had been installed in the panel were of an inferior steel quality in another embarrassing incident .

In another bizarre incident a worker was closing a gate at a mine while there was lightning activity in the area when he blacked out for a period of time. He was sent for a medical assessment where an irregularity in heart beat was detected. Blood tests later confirmed that the worker was possibly subjected to an electric shock from the lightning.

topics

loader