Cockatoo receives boost for Surat Basin projects

COCKATOO Coal’s Taroom and Collingwood projects in Queensland’s Surat Basin have been awarded significant project status by the state government coordinator-general.
Cockatoo receives boost for Surat Basin projects Cockatoo receives boost for Surat Basin projects Cockatoo receives boost for Surat Basin projects Cockatoo receives boost for Surat Basin projects Cockatoo receives boost for Surat Basin projects

Cockatoo Coal's Surat Basin projects.

Lauren Barrett

The projects, located near Wandoan and Taroom, have the potential to export up to 14 million tonnes per annum over a 25-year mine life.

Cockatoo has a 51% interest in the Taroom and Collingwood projects, while MCH Surat Basin Investment holds the remaining 49%.

The company is planning to develop a rail spur and a water pipeline in conjunction with the development of Collingwood.

Cockatoo Coal chief executive officer Andrew Lawson said receiving significant project status indicated the projects’ potential to bring about economic benefits.

“Recognition of this kind is a responsibility as well as an opportunity, which both Cockatoo Coal and our joint venture partner Mitsui are aware and appreciative of,” he said.

Receiving the significant status marks the next phase of Cockatoo’s interaction with a wide variety of stakeholders within and outside the government.

Cockatoo is undertaking project assessment, planning and evaluation of Taroom and Collingwood.

Collingwood’s total JORC-compliant resource stands at 229Mt, while Taroom stands at 433Mt.

Cockatoo has a large portfolio of coal tenements in Queensland and is aiming to produce 2.8Mt of coal in 2014, ramping up to 9.9Mt by 2016.

topics

loader