Driller shocked by wrong plug

THE New South Wales Resources Regulator has urged miners to make sure equipment and plant with different voltages have unique sockets and plugs, in the wake of an incident last week where a driller suffered an electric shock after plugging a light into the wrong socket.

Driller shocked by wrong plug Driller shocked by wrong plug Driller shocked by wrong plug Driller shocked by wrong plug Driller shocked by wrong plug

Electric shocks can kill

While the worker was shocked, he did not sustain any serious injuries.
The incident at an unnamed mine in NSW happened when the driller rocked up to his day shift to find the area lights had been removed from the drill rig he was supposed to be working on.
The lights had been removed by the driller's on night shift after tripping out a couple of times.
According to the Regulator, the day driller went and found a replacement light bar which he then installed.
However, when he went back to adjust the light bar he suffered an electric shock when he inadvertently plugged it into the wrong supply.
The two available currents; a 24V DC and 32V AC supply were apparently indistinguishable as they sat side-by-side and utilised a common socket.
The Regulator said a...